Sunday, March 3, 2013

What do you want?


So here's what just happened. Yes, That Too started a flash blog snowstorm to protest the fact that the autocomplete options were "die" "be killed" etc, when you search "autistic people should." Guess what? Google reduced the frequency. It's great that they did that, seriously. It's super great.

What's not super great is that Autism Speaks chose to make a big deal out of Google changing the terms... but chose not to make a big deal out of the AUTISTIC-led movement that led to the change.

Autistics organized this thing. They ran this thing. They pulled it all the way through. You'd think someone looking for the best interests of Autistics would be all over that. Autistics speaking for themselves, empowering themselves, advocating for themselves. Isn't that what Autism Speaks claims to want?

 "We just want the best for our kids," they say. But will you want the best for them when they're thirty years old and blogging for their rights? Or will you want them in the palm of your hand?

"Tip your hats to Google, sure, but also to the ones who told Google so.
Tip your hats to those who kept at it when Google said it was unfortunate, but that nothing will be done." -Yes, That Too.

That wasn't the only snowstorm. Oh, yes, there's still a snowstorm. "Autistic People Are." Add your voice to the flurry.

Do you want to be heard?

Do you want to be erased from your own history books?

Copy the link here. Leave a comment. Write a blog post. A Facebook status. Make your voice heard. Tell Autism Speaks that you are here, you are not going away, and you will be heard.

 https://www.facebook.com/autismspeaks/posts/191178214339598?comment_id=452626&offset=0&total_comments=133


-Kitt

1 comment:

  1. I wrote this on the facebook link you included above:

    "This all makes my brain hurt. I am autistic. It's been part of my life for as long as I can remember and has colored every bit of my life. When I am capable of verbal speech, I speak for myself, when I'm not, I can write, and I even have an app on my phone that will allow me to be heard. I thank Carly Fleishman for that idea. I'm not a bunch of technobabble, brain tests, genetics, conditions and so forth, I'm a person, an individual. Analysis of the money going in, and the money coming out, and where it's going shows a lack of oversight, and an interest in paying people big salaries. Sorry this is wrong.

    Statements made by people representing Autism speaks were far less than positive. As I understand it, the one actual autistic person involved in the firm quit because of these and many other questions. Arguing about who did or did not do what, or long detailed explanations of why Autism Speaks is write, is wrong. Here are plenty of people of varying levels of skill and passion, people, human beings, with hearts, minds and feelings saying Autism Speaks is wrong and needs to focus less on excuses and more on helping, hearing, and understanding what we have to say.

    As the sign I'm holding up says: "I have a right to be heard and understood." All the folks here who live with this every day of their lives have a right to be heard. I choose to say I am autistic. But I could just as easily say I am NeuroAtypical, or whatever else someone wishes to convey that they are living with something not one person at Autism Speaks can ever possibly understand because it appears you're not even listening, let alone opening your hearts and minds to what OUR worlds are like.

    I am not angry. I'm not even sure if I belong here. But I'm tired of being bullied and ignored, and I am autistic. I hear/feel/everything too much and it's a constant challenge, but that doesn't make me less than. I am a person with a heart that craves love and understanding, people being gentle and kind, not yelling at or about me. Touch my heart and mind with light, kindness and love. Because I feel that too. And maybe instead of worrying about paychecks and how much work it may or may not be to have me around, you can stop for just a moment and imagine a better brighter world where you can take ten minutes out of your busy, important, money driven lives and join me on the floor to watch the dust motes dance and find the beauty in that."

    ReplyDelete